100ml chicken stock
1 tbsp RoniB's Kitchen banana ketchup
1 or 2 tsp RoniB's Kitchen Garlic chilli paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp black rice vinegar (balsamic vinegar)
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp corn flour
4 chicken thighs cut in cubes
Salt & pepper to season chicken
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp Sichuan or pink peppercorns
4 dried chillies
1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into squares
Bunch of spring onions cut in 1-inch length
Dry roasted cashew nuts (optional)
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper and coat with cornflour. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix together all the sauce ingredients.
3. Heat a large deep pan over high heat. When it starts to smoke, add the cooking oil.
4. Add the Sichuan or pink peppercorns and dried chillies and quickly fry. About 5 seconds.
5. Add chicken and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until done.
6. Add the rice wine and cook for about 2 minutes.
7. Add the sauce mixture. When it starts to bubble, add the red pepper. Cook the sauce until thick.
8. Add the spring onions and cook for a further minute.
9. Add cashew nuts, if using. Serve immediately.
Tangy, flavorful and spicy chicken stir-fry.
Roni's Kung Po Style Chicken
2 -4 servings